Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tokyo

This post is about my time in Tokyo, Japan. It was such a fantastic experience and I feel that if I don't write it down somewhere 'permanent' then I might start forgetting the details. So I hope you don't mind if I share this adventure with you.

***


Japan, land of the rising sun, home of samurais, ninjas and geishas, of temples, towers and (super fast) trains. While Japan has never been at the top of my 'go to' list, I've had a fascination with the country and culture since I was taught Japanese in primary school. 

I can't really remember how it happened, but at some point Dan and I decided that we wanted to go to Japan. So Japan leapt ahead of South America and India (at the top of my current 'travel list'), and we booked flights, accommodation, etc.

Sensei Zucchini (Zucchini wasn't actually her name, but we were young and it sounded similar) was the first person to introduce me to Japan. She was my primary school's Japanese teacher and I was probably 8 years old. Over the next couple of years, Sensei Zucchini taught us Japanese characters, simple words and how to pick up popcorn with chopsticks.

While I didn't have to write any Japanese or pick up popcorn with chopsticks (they use their hands just like us), this introduction proved invaluable. My accent was understandable and our awareness of their culture/traditions helped avoid embarrassment.

There is potential for this post to turn into a bit of thesis, so I'll try to keep things as brief as possible.

Our first day involved: Napping on the train ride from the airport for Tokyo station; exploring Shinjuku by day; exploring Shinkjuku by night; eating dinner in Shibuya; visiting Meiji Shrine during the crazy festivities of Shogatsu; oh and how could I forget, counting down (from 60 - wha?) to the New Year at the most packed bar I've ever been to in my life.

Shinjuku

Meiji Shrine

The end of a ridiculously long count down at a gaijin bar in Shinjuku

Yes, Dan and I arrived in Tokyo on New Years Eve. Most people in Japan go to temples (or a j-pop concert if you're in Tokyo), and there is very in little in the way of big public events (i.e., no fireworks). But we found a gajin (foreigner) bar and it became one of the most uncomfortable moments in my life. It was physically impossible to move from one area of the bar to another. At one point a Japanese lady seemed glued against Dan while we tried to make an exit. It was so packed, she literally got dragged along by the people trying to leave. But I would never take back that experience... it was certainly a memorable night.

Shinjuku on NYE

The rest of our adventures in Tokyo completely won me over. I'm going to say it - I love Tokyo.

From the madness of the shopping districts, to the tranquillity of some of the temples/parks (though the temples have more of a festival feel near the New Year), to the laid-back, jovial atmosphere in the 'pubs'. Tokyo seemed to have everything.

Ameyoko shopping street, Ueno

Roppongi Hills

Yakitori bar in Ueno

Wasabi for sale at Tsukiji Fish Market

Meiji Shine

Ramen at Ippudo

Photos from our visit to a Maid Cafe in Akihabara

Ueno Park

I feel incredibly lucky that Dan and I had a chance to see 'quiet Tokyo' and 'bustling Tokyo'. Let me explain. Around the New Year Japanese people celebrate Shogatsu and during this period many people gather with their families, often outside the major cities. So during our first 3 days in Tokyo, quite a few restaurants were closed, streets were desolate and crowds were at a minimum. Upon our return to Toyko, before our flight back home, we encountered packed trains, crowded markets and activity on every corner. Tokyo was alive and vibrant - it was energising.

A very quiet Ginza on New Years Day

Lively Shibuya

View from our hotel room, Hanzomon

Before my visit, most people told me "you don't need long in Tokyo", but I entirely disagree. If you only want to see temples and museums, then Tokyo might not have as much to offer as say... Kyoto. But there is more to Japan than 'the old world'. Each little area of Tokyo has something different to offer and we didn't even see 10% of it. Furthermore, there are so many day trips you can do from Tokyo.

Dan and I could have spent to the entire two weeks based in Tokyo. But we didn't.
Hopefully there will be a next time.

- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment