Wednesday, May 1, 2013

challenge yourself

It wasn't easy, but I did it. I climbed the (approx) 1000 steps at the Kokoda Trail Memorial Walk.


After such a lethargic week - I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but my energy levels are low, low, low - it wasn't easy to get pumped up for my second Weekend Walkabout Challenge walk, but I am so glad I did.


See, I'm smiling!

Despite the throngs of people, many of whom passed me, I did feel a sense of accomplishment once I'd climbed the 1000 steps, so much so that I wasn't ready to stop (or go back down). So I continued on to One Tree Hill and then took a detour back to the carpark.



Wandering on my own along the Tyson Track was a truly blissful experience. Crowds have never been my caper, so once I was alone, with the sun shining and my legs walking, I began to sing.


Yep, I sang an awful rendition of It's a Wonderful World, but it felt fantastic! This is why I walk/hike - the enormous sense of calm, of adventure, of independence. I know a lot of people frown upon those who walk alone, but I feel such inner peace when I am bushwalking on my own.


Overall I walked 7km, with an elevation of 379m. My pace wasn't particularly great, but having struggled immensely with my breathing (being asthmatic and hayfever-ish) it isn't a surprise. Most importantly though, I got out there, saw something new and challenged myself.

Given the crowds (there are a lot of people there and it can be difficult to get a car park, but the crowd did seem to 'thin out' later in the afternoon), I'm not sure I would head back to the 1000 steps/Kokoda Trail Memorial Walk any time soon. For those interested in learning more about the Kokoda Trail and paying homage to the fallen soldiers though, it is worth a visit.


The greatest thing about this Weekend Walkabout Challenge so far, is that I am enjoying it. It is exercise, sight-seeing and down time all in one. I don't even feel like I am working out (although my polar watch says otherwise).


It really goes to show that if you find activities you enjoy doing, you're more likely to keep at it.


I haven't confirmed the location for my next walk, but given the theme is 'A touch of history', I'm considering checking out the Gold Heritage Trail, Warrandyte State Park.

- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment