Thursday, May 16, 2013

childhood memories

I have been wanting to go back to Point Nepean ever since I first visited those fascinating, albeit slightly haunting, tunnels during a school excursion. So I finally went for what was my fourth Weekend Walkabout.


Point Nepean is surround by water and has loads of history, and could easily have been an appropriate walk for many of the Weekend Walkabout Challenge "themes". But my memories there as a teenagers are still vivid, so childhood memories seemed the perfect fit.

Starting at the Quarantine Station, I had intended to hike up to Fort Nepean and back. However, the thrill of exploration was too great - I find the history, the stories, the remains at Point Nepean fascinating - so by the time I reach Fort Nepean I had already been walking for over 1.5 hours, and I knew I didn't have time for another 1.5 hours. Lucky for me, there is a transporter bus that shuttles people between the major sites. And nothing reminded me of being a child quite like being back on a bus.





I walked 7.73km with an elevation of 341m in 1 hour and 38 minutes. As previously mentioned, I was extremely distracted by the historical sights, so it wasn't a hike so much as an exploration.



The Mornington Peninsula is a beautiful part of the world and I will definitely head back to Point Nepean for future walks - it really has a bit everything (good tracks, interesting sites along the way, beautiful landscapes).


- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment