Thursday, September 13, 2012

the love

Watch out! Corniness alert!

Looking at everyone else's 12wbt blogs has been AMAZING! There are some seriously talented and witty people out there. I can't wait for my own blog to evolve and develop - there is so much potential!

The thing that these blogs and the entire 12wbt highlight for me is our need to feel a sense of connectedness and belonging. I feel like I'm channelling an old psych lecturer now (slightly awkward), but she was right.


In the most recent 12wbt video, Michelle Bridges said that people wanted to know why the 12wbt works, what the secret is. While there are, no doubt, many elements to its success, I imagine that gaining a sense of belonging/connectedness has been a significant factor in every success story. And if you believe otherwise, please don't hold back, I'm welcome to hearing any and all opinions.

For me personally, I can discuss different struggle areas with friends, family and colleagues. My biggest supporter is my boyfriend. He has even changed his lifestyle to make my transition easier. At the same time, he isn't overweight, he hasn't battled these issues before, so that is where other 12wbters become really important. I probably haven't embraced the 12wbt network as much as I could, but I am definitely gaining insight through the blogosphere. So I'm sure it is a source I will draw from more in the future.


While I'm on my psych soap box, it is also worth noting that positive social support can also work as a protective factor against mental health issues. This does not mean that having great social support will call forth your own mental health Jedi...


...but it can help. And seeing as today is R U OK? Day, I feel I must ask

Are you ok?

I hope you are! If not, please seek appropriate help - call lifeline, see a doctor, even talk to someone you know. And if you are ok, maybe consider if there is anyone you know that needs a gentle "are you ok?"


- Dani

2 comments:

  1. Hey D,

    Im completely agree with your thoughts re sense of belonging helping those with depression or mental illness. The forums in 12wbt are a fantastic support system- to know that you are surrounded by likeminded people with the same fears and problems and thoughts as you- well its almost empowering.
    I do really beleive that this is one of the big reasons 12wbt works for so many people.
    You are surrounded by people that WANT and know that you can succeed
    We are a team aand we want to all succeed together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying! It is so good to other opinions, especially people with past experiences such as yours. That is a great quote too - "We are a team and we want to all succeed together". You'll have to forgive me if I reuse it ;)

      Delete