Monday, September 17, 2012

weekends

It is well and truly apparent that I struggle to stick to the 12wbt plan over the weekend. Friday night post-work drinks, lunch/dinner with friends and family, sleep-ins, birthdays, etc. Every weekend gets a big, fat red flag.

This weekend involved drinks on Friday night. (I had two cocktails.) An unsuccessful workout, beers at the footy, evening drinks over a movie, followed by a night of dancing and drinking. (Yes, I well and truly missed the mark on Saturday.) Birthday afternoon tea on Sunday.

Friday - dinner (12wbt basil & walnut pesto spaghetti)

Saturday - if you watch Offspring you'll get where I'm going with this

Sunday - afternoon tea (though I didn't eat any pavlova)

First things first, I have to make a confession regarding my Super Saturday Session... I didn't make it through one round.

While at uni I tore my plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the bottom of my feet, playing netball. It was a painful experience and my feet have never quite been the same. So during certain exercises that pain in my feet comes back and my arches feel so tight that I fear standing flat on my feet might tear something. As I've now learnt, skipping is one of those exercises that flares up this old injury.

I gritted my teeth through the pain and had nearly finished the first round when, instead of just wiping the sweat off my face - as intended, I ended up burying my face in my towel to hide an avalanche of unexpected tears.


I was practically distraught. It was as if the pain brought forth all the other emotions I'd bottled up lately. Disappointment, frustration, embarrassment, even anger.

At this point I know I should have moved on, I should have chosen activities that wouldn't cause so much pain. But I didn't. I gave up.

I wasn't the only one over it

So not only did I make choices that will hinder my progress (i.e., drinking alcohol), I didn't compensate for those choices either. Which is my biggest regret about this weekend.

I know there are smarter choices I can make while in these 'weekend situations'. Such as refraining from drinking alcohol, choosing the healthiest option on the menu, avoid skipping meals... the list goes on. But when I'm in the moment with my friends, Saturday night is great example, one thing leads to another and my health/12wbt  is completely forgotten.

So I'm asking all of you out there, do you have any suggestions as to how I can stay on track with the 12wbt while still maintaining my social life?

No comments:

Post a Comment