Tuesday, September 11, 2012

the nudge

Once I realised I needed to change my priorities, I wasn't overly sure what to do next. Luckily I didn't need to think about it long, a girl at work mentioned that she was thinking of joining Round 3 (2012) of the Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation. It was a brilliant moment and before I could hit the snack jar at work one last time, I'd signed up and was preparing to do the pre-season tasks.

Say it out loud is one of the 12wbt pre-season tasks and is about making a commitment to yourself and others. Making a commitment and being accountable is something I haven't really embraced before. I have always hid my goals, so that when I didn't reach them, no one else would know I hadn't succeeded. No more though! I was determined to complete all the pre-season tasks. So I posted a note to my family, it wasn't very long, but it said enough - and it was out there for all to see, no more hiding.


Over the next few days the support and encouragement I received from my family was overwhelming.

As for the other pre-season tasks, I couldn't believe how unfit I had become. I couldn't do one sit up - not one! That has never happened to me before.

Before pic

Through the 12wbt pre-season tasks, I realised that in the past I was happy to tell people that I was overweight, but I couldn't seem to admit that I was actually trying to do something about it. Furthermore, when I did exercise and try to lead a healthier life, I felt judged. I felt that people shouldn't see me exercising. I found it embarrassing and I'm still finding it embarrassing. But I'm working on it.

Like many people, I know exactly what I need to do to lose weight and get healthy, but I have always lacked drive/discipline. The 12wbt has helped remove some of thinking, which can be stressful, and it is somewhat helping to boost my drive. The range of recipes is inspiring - and I already owned Michelle Bridges cookbooks. The instructions and processes I have undertaken have been thought provoking. Now it's just up to me.

- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment