Wednesday, September 12, 2012

the journey so far

I've been a little delayed in getting this blog up but I have been keeping track of my 12wbt progress so far through instagram and twitter. So here is a quick recap...

Day 1 After the fitness test I was feeling a little down. It was upsetting and frustrating that I was so unfit. But day 1 helped to lift my spirits. I ate well, enjoyed pushing myself at the gym and finished the night with tea - I never drink tea.


Day 2 - Taking note that organisation is a key to success, I prepared the Roast Pumpkin and Garlic soup on the weekend. Unfortunately quite a few of the recipes in the 12wbt nutrition plans take some time to prepare and cook. As I often have to work late, sometimes unexpectedly, I figured I may as well get prepared whenever I find the time.

I had never made pumpkin soup before. I rarely make soup. And I didn't have a stick mixer. But I compromised using a blender and the dish was a success. Most importantly though - it was delicious.


After posting a picture of my delicious soup on instagram, I noticed a few comments from other 12wbters. "Mine turned out green!" said one person. "So did mine!" said another.

I was so confused. Did they add a bunch of fresh herbs? Can pumpkin turn green in certain situations? (No, I'm not blonde.) Then it hit me. Leek! Not everyone knows that there are 'rules' when cooking with leek. I don't even know how I knew there were rules, I never cook with leek.

So here's a tip for anyone cooking with leek...
  • Cut the leek just before it turns from bright green to dark green
  • Discard the dark green section (you can use this section to make stock though)
  • Cut off the bottom tips with the roots too
  • Next you need to get the dirt out of the leek. People use different methods for this but it is easiest to halve or quarter the leeks lengthwise, put them in a container of cold water (being cold is important) and agitate the leeks to loosen up the dirt.
  • Rinse the leek strips to ensure all the dirt is removed
  • Dry on paper towel and then prepare as desired

After day 2, the rest of week 1 got a bit out of hand. I didn't do all the workouts. I didn't stick to the nutrition plan.


It wasn't all bad though. Dan and I were yearning for pizza, so rather than hit Crust, which is so ridiculously close to where we live, we whipped up some mountain bread pizzas.



I use two pieces of mountain bread, both with one tablespoon of tomato pasta spread over them and stacked on one another. It creates a fresh and light pizza base, and best of all you can choose whatever topping you want. So of course Dan added steak.

Week 2 passed by ridiculously quickly. Because I was interstate over the weekend, I wasn't able to prepare as much as I would have liked. In addition, I was eating out on Monday night for Dan's birthday. It was not an ideal start to the week.

But I regained focus, the meatballs were a triumph and my results at the gym were getting better and better.


I dropped the ball again though. I worked late, got home exhausted, Dan was out and the idea of spending 30 minutes (maybe more) preparing and cooking a dinner for myself didn't seem worth it. I knew my calorie limit though and I wanted to stick to it, so I ate baked beans. While I'm happy I didn't gorge or eat take out, I know that eating right is about more than limiting calorie intake, it is about getting the right nutrients. It was a low moment but I'm glad it has happened, because now I know I should also aim to have a bowl of left overs in the fridge for a moment just like this.

If only things had gotten better from this point...

A Friday night for me often involves drinks after work, dinner and more drinks. It doesn't make it easy to stick to the plan. Last Friday I was drinking vodka, soda and lime, and spacing my drinks out, but we also had three courses of duck. I blew out my calorie consumption. But I wouldn't change a thing. So I guess I'm just not sure how to be a social, twenty-something and stick to this plan. Call it peer pressure, weakness, whatever. I'm clearly not willing to give up certain behaviours.


So on Saturday I pushed myself. It was sunny, then windy, then it rained. My heart rate monitor wasn't detecting my heart rate. I was frustrated but determined. I've got no idea how many calories I burned or where my heart rate was at, but I worked hard and despite how uncomfortable I felt working out in a public area (I was in a nearby park with lots of cars passing by) I lasted the hour.



A bowl of leftover pumpkin soup later and I was feeling focused. I'd exercised to my limits and eaten well. So I thought, maybe I don't need to give up nights with my friends. I just need to make the smartest choices I can in the situation and remember to compensate for my choices throughout the rest of the week.


I ended week 2 with a big shop and an evening of cooking. I used the left over meatball mix to make bolognese for dinner (I prefer bolognese to meatballs). I prepared the lasagne, because there was no way I'd  have enough time to prepare it on a Monday. I even prepared the chicken and zucchini for lunch the next day. Everything was prepared and it felt good.


Now I'm into week 3 and I'm slowly but surely heading on the right track. The meals have been delicious and the workouts are becoming addictive. Dan has gotten into it now - and doing it with someone else really is easier.




And this morning I weighed myself. It was a pleasant surprise... though seeing other people's results has made me question my level of dedication. But at least I'm heading in the right direction.

12WBT Progress Tracker

So what have I learnt so far?
  • Being prepared makes life easier
  • It is ok to fall off the horse as long as you get back on
  • I don't have to give up drinks and dinner with friends, I just have to be aware of how it will affect my progress and what I can do to compensate for these choices
  • Having someone supporting you and eating/exercising with you is a great motivator
  • I still need to find a better balance (my car hasn't seen any love yet - it needs it)
  • You can workout anywhere!

- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment