Wednesday, November 14, 2012

week 12

It is here! The 12th and final week of the Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation (Round 3 2012).

I have lost a few kilos, a fair few centimetres and gained a slightly healthier outlook. It is progress, but not at the intensity I wanted. Having signed up at the gym and joined the 12wbt, I thought I'd take significant steps in reaching my goals. But no.

So I thought it was time for a 12wbt reflection.

Nutrition
The food has been 50/50 for me. The nutrition plans don't really suit my lifestyle, as many recipes require far too much prep and cooking time. I often feel that all I do (Mon to Fri) is work, cook/eat, exercise and sleep.

In some ways, the nutrition plan is almost too ambitious as well. I would normally never buy so many different ingredients for one week and at times, following the plan to the letter can seem expensive.

Furthermore, my friends and I love to eat out. So rather than encouraging everyone to eat at home all the time, there could be a little more focus on how to make the best choices when eating out.

There have been massive highlights though. I now eat breakfast more regularly - almost every day. And a few of the recipes will be favourites in my household for some time to come.


Exercise
I have really enjoyed the planned workout sessions, though I'm not sure that I will ever stick to the full plan. I just don't seem to be able to workout 6 days in a row. Normally by Thursday my body is so sore from the previous three sessions that I can't do the full workout. (Hopefully this won't be such a problem as I get fitter and stronger.)

I have, however, changed my lifestyle to incorporate more physical activities (e.g., discovering new places on my bike) - which I am loving.



Mindset
I must admit, I haven't watched every weekly mindset video, so I perhaps haven't focused enough on this area. However, I kinda feel that the 12wbt is a good tool but that it won't 'fix the problem' so to speak.

I have been overweight for about 4-5 years now, but I have had problems with food since I was a teenager. I would drink coke everyday, eat doughnuts before school, stash confectionery in my bedroom.

Now don't even think about blaming my parents. In fact, my mum is a bit of a health nut. There was never any junk food in the house, though we would occasionally get to eat Coco Pops during school holidays. We only drank water and rarely had take-away.

But I wanted what other people ate. So I would spend most of my pocket money and later my after-school income on 'crap' food - often from the school canteen and occasionally from the local milkbar.

I never gained weight until I stopped participating in organised sports (after I left college).

So yes the 12wbt is changing my habits, but I still want that other food, whether I enjoy it or not. I can't imagine ever not wanting processed, highly addictive, massively marketed junk food. My palate might be changing, but my thought patterns haven't.


Overall
It must be doing something and I must enjoy it because I've signed up for Round 4. There have been brilliant moments where I felt fit, healthy and strong. Moments when an email from Mish would fill me with rage. (Yes, at times I seemed to go through the five stages of grief.) Moments when I just didn't care.

Mostly though, the 12wbt has made me think more about what I do and who I want to be. I might not have made significant changes so far, but I'm getting there.


Despite not reaching my goals, I'm still going to give it my all at the Group Workout and Finale Cocktail Party. I don't particularly plan on celebrating my successes, but I'm sure it will give me plenty of inspiration to kick-start Round 4. See you there!


- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment