Wednesday, October 3, 2012

catching flies with honey

I gained 500 grams this week and I couldn't be happier.

The first 5 weeks of this 12wbt have not been easy for me. I found myself constantly stressing about diet and exercise. It felt like my home life revolved around the kitchen and the gym. And, dare I say it, I missed my couch. I would love to be a shiny, happy person that wants to squeeze activity into every moment of their life, but... I enjoy settling on the couch to watch a good movie. (Who doesn't?)


I was also constantly disappointed in myself for not following the 12wbt plans to the letter and on Sunday, I realised that I was tense and unhappy - and that something needed to change.

Sad Panda

So, thinking about my original goal - to find balance - I tried to gain some perspective.

I realised that I have my own choices to blame. Choosing to exercise after work limits my time in the evening to cook, clean, relax, etc. Also, the 12wbt is a tool that I'm using to improve my life, not a rule book, so it shouldn't stress me out. And most importantly, I want to change my life forever! So I need to find what works for me.

Since I had this realisation, I've changed my mindset and I'm actually choosing to spend more time in the kitchen and more time exercising. Even when I've had the option to enjoy some couch time, I've gone for a bike ride instead.

Gettin' some air

I'm feeling more motivated to change my life than ever before. If my joints are sore, the sun is shining and I choose to walk home from work instead of hitting the gym, I know I'll make up for it later in the week. I can eat non-12wbt approved meals, but I need to be mindful of my calorie intake and the nutrients my body needs. (I'm working on some healthy recipes right now!)

Nuts-for-lemon balls (I adapted my nuts-for-lemon bars recipe)

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I do need more discipline (I guess that's why I'm in this position in the first place), but stressing out and feeling despondent is never going to help me reach my goals. So now variation and substitution are friends not foes, and my focus is on the big picture (e.g., being active everyday, eating well) rather than religiously following specific plans/guidelines. And... I feel so much happier.

- Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment